RSS

THE DELLS "Oh What A Night"

Earlier vocal group classics by the venerable Windy City R&B vocal group, this showcases their impeccable harmony on the gorgeous title track and similar fare. ~ Bill Dahl, AllmusicA fine chronological CD of the Dells' Vee-Jay recordings, from their 1955 debut "Tell the World" to 1964's immortal "Stay in My Corner" -- with liner notes by Robert Prueter, the godfather of Chicago's soul scene. The original Dells recorded the bulk of these tracks with Johnny Funches; exaggerated falsetto Johnny Carter replaced Funches in 1959. Their recording debut (as the El Rays) was 1954's "Darling I Know," which didn't make the 25 tracks -- nor did a few early-'60s releases on Argo Records when they broke from Vee-Jay for a spell. Singularly, and occasionally together, tenor Verne Allison and baritone Michael McGill wrote most of the material, with blustery baritone lead Marvin Junior chipping in a few tunes as well. All the Dells wrote songs but rarely together. These are the Chicago area recordings from whence the Dells' legend spread. ~ Andrew Hamilton, AllmusicThe Dells:
Marvin Junior, Chuck Barksdale, Mickey McGill, Verne Allison, Johnny Funches (vocals)

trax:
01 Oh What A Night 02 Time Makes You Change 03 Tell The World 04 Dreams Of Contentment 05 Movin' On 06 Darling I Know 07 Jo-Jo 08 Why Do You Have To Go 09 I Can't Help Myself 10 Now I Pray 11 Dance, Dance, Dance 12 Distant Love 13 Pains In My Heart 14 Baby Open Up Your Heart 15 Wedding Day 16 I'm Calling 17 My Dreams 18 Zing, Zing, Zing 19 I Wanna Go Home 20 She's Just An Angel 21 Springer 22 Q-Bop-She-Bop 23 Dry Your Eyes 24 You're Still In My Heart 25 Baby Doo 26 My Best Girl 27 Restless Days 28 Stay In My Corner
...served by Gyro1966...

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Environment Powered by Mysiterank
Preview on Feedage: lily-putts Add to My Yahoo! Add to Google! Add to AOL! Add to MSN
Subscribe in NewsGator Online Add to Netvibes Subscribe in Pakeflakes Subscribe in Bloglines Add to Alesti RSS Reader
Add to Feedage.com Groups Add to Windows Live iPing-it Add to Feedage RSS Alerts Add To Fwicki
Feedage Grade A rated Dr.5z5 Open Feed Directory Subscribe My Feed