RSS

SYL JOHNSON "Music To My Ears" (Hi Records 72-76)

This CD is comprised of Hi singles and album cuts by Syl Johnson from 1972-1976. Satisfiers include "I Hear the Love Chimes," "Any Way the Wind Blows," "Let Yourself Go," "Wind, Blow Her Back My Way," "Diamond in the Rough," "I Only Have You," "'Bout to Make Me Leave Home," "Take Me to the River," "Steppin' Out," "It Ain't Easy," and "That's Just My Luck." The CD booklet lists 26 songs, but the disc only features the first 25. ~ Opal Louis Nations, Roots & Rhythm NewsletterA rollicking vocalist and gifted harmonica player, Syl Johnson has forged a career in both blues and soul. The brother of bassist Mac Thompson and guitarist/vocalist Jimmy Johnson, Syl Johnson sang and played with blues artists Magic Sam, Billy Boy Arnold, and Junior Wells in the '50s before recording with Jimmy Reed for Vee-Jay in 1959. He made his solo debut that same year with Federal. Johnson toured with Howlin' Wolf from late 1959 until 1962, when Willie Mitchell signed him to Hi Records. Johnson recorded for both Twilight and Hi in the late '60s and early '70s, clicking with the dance/novelty cut "Come on Sock It to Me" and crackling message track "Is It Because I'm Black?" He had his biggest hit with "Take Me to the River" in 1975, reaching number seven on the R&B charts. (Ron Wynn, Allmusic)

trax:
01 Back For A Taste Of Your Love 02 We Did It 03 I'm Yours 04 Don't Do It 05 I Hear The Love Chimes 06 Anyway The Wind Blows 07 The Love You Left Behind 08 I Want To Take You Home (Too See Mama) 09 Feelin' Frisky 10 Let Yourself Go 11 Wind, Blow Her Back My Way 12 You Don't Know Me 13 I Hate I Walked Away 14 Watch What You Do To Me 15 Diamond In The Rough 16 I Only Have Love 17 Bustin' Up Or Bustin' Out 18 Stuck In Chicago 19 Keeping Down Confusion 20 'Bout To Make Me Leave Home 21 Take Me To The River 22 Music To My Ears 23 Steppin' Out 24 It Ain't Easy 25 That's Just My Luck
...served by Gyro1966...

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Get Paid To Promote, Get Paid To Popup, Get Paid Display Banner

Environment Powered by Mysiterank
Preview on Feedage: lily-putts Add to My Yahoo! Add to Google! Add to AOL! Add to MSN
Subscribe in NewsGator Online Add to Netvibes Subscribe in Pakeflakes Subscribe in Bloglines Add to Alesti RSS Reader
Add to Feedage.com Groups Add to Windows Live iPing-it Add to Feedage RSS Alerts Add To Fwicki
Feedage Grade A rated Dr.5z5 Open Feed Directory Subscribe My Feed